* School pictures are coming home in Friday Folders. They are all just so cute! There are instructions on the inside of the back cover explaining how to order more pictures as well as the retake date.
* I'm happy to say I had 100% of you show up for parent teacher conferences! Thank you!! I truly enjoyed meeting with all of you and sharing all the wonderful growth your children have made in only 10 short weeks! I can't believe we're almost to Thanksgiving break! This year has been flying by!
* During conferences, I gave quite a few suggestions on things you can do at home with your child. I realize that it may have been a bit overwhelming and you may be trying to think of those suggestions because they weren't written down. So here are some of the activities/ suggestions I talked about with a lot of you:
- Using magnetic letters to build words, focusing on vowel sounds. For CVC words (i.e. bat, run, pot, etc.) draw three boxes on a piece of paper and have your child build CVC words. For an extra challenge, add another box and build blends (i.e. clam, flat, drum, clip, swim, etc.)
- When reading rhyming books at home, stop when you hear a rhyme and go back and forth thinking of more words that rhyme with the ones in the book. Supplying rhymes is often a difficult concept for kindergarteners.
- When working on sight words, turn it into a game. Many parents said they make flashcards. Well, make another set and you can play memory, go fish, bingo, etc. You can also use popsicle sticks by writing the sight words on one end and making a few with the word "zap-it". Put them in a cup and take turns picking a stick and saying the word. If a zap-it stick is pulled, you have to put all your sticks back in the cup.
- Comprehension is a major focus area for kindergarteners and will continue to be in all other grades. Getting your child to think beyond the literal context of the text of often challenging. Here are some goals to think about when discussing the books your children are reading:
- making connections between text and their own life as well as the text and other books
- infer characters feelings (why did the boy feel that way?)
- recognize new information learned
- make predictions before and during the book
- "why do you think _____" questions
- identify problem/solution
- before reading, discuss what the child already knows
- share opinions about the book/ illustrations
- talk about the beginning, the series of events in the middle, and the end of the book
- identify and appreciate humor in a text
I hope this helps! Have a wonderful long weekend = )
No comments:
Post a Comment